22 AUGUST 2, 2018 RIDGEWOOD TIMES 110TH ANNIVERSARY WWW.QNS.COM
A Brief History Of
On October 6, Redeemer was established as a Mission Church by the Brooklyn Mission Society; Mr. Paul Bente, a
student at the Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri, was retained as the Missionary. Services were held in German
and English and a Sunday School with three children was conducted in a place which was formally us to house chickens.
In 1908, Pastor John C. Bauer accepted a call as Missionary and was ordained at St. Paul’s Church, Palmetto and Knickerbocker
streets in Brooklyn, New York. Pastor Bauer conducted his first service on August 16 and served as Redeemer’s
pastor until January, 1914, when he accepted a call to Fort Wayne, Indiana.
In 1909, the Church celebrated its first Communion Service; the Congregation was organized; the Ladies’ Aid was
established; the Young peoples Society was formed; and the Articles of Incorporation were accepted by the Congregation
and recorded with the Commissioner of Deeds, Queens Country, New York.
On January 18, 1914, a new Pastor, Theodore Kuehn, was installed to replace Pastor Bauer. Pastor Kuehn remained
at Redeemer until August, 1925, when he left to accept a call to St. John’s Church, Rome, New York. During this period,
the Church was modernized with new electrical lighting, a hot-air furnace and an organ.
In June, 1915, the Church became a member of the Missouri Synod.
In October, 1925, Redeemer called Pastor Frederick W. Abel who served Redeemer until September 1956.
Design for a new church was begun in December, 1925; ground-breaking ceremonies were held in April 1926; and
the new church was dedicated in February, 1927. A new Moeller organ was dedicated the following month.
An assistant Pastor, Rev. Gordon O. Gabram, was installed in September, 1951, and remained as Assistant until May,
1953, when he accepted a call to a Chaplaincy in the United States Army. In September of the same year, Rev. Frank
G. Reiter, Jr. became Assistant Pastor and immediately began efforts to establish a Christian Day School. The school
opened in September, 1955, with 70 children enrolled with Pastor Reiter serving as its first principal. Pastor Abel retired
in September, 1956, and Pastor Reiter was immediately installed to replace him. He served Redeemer until his death on
February 25, 1981. Pastor Curtis Dorsey is the the current pastor since September 2012.
6907 Cooper Ave. Glendale, NY 11385
69-26 COOPER AVENUE, GLENDALE, NY 11385 • 718-821-6670
REDEEMER LUTHERAN SCHOOL
The famous Hoffman Hall was on March 1 1955.
Redeemer Lutheran School was then established.
Since 1999 Principal Mr. Williams and his staff\
continue to bring excellent education and Extra-
Curricular activities to today’s youth. Their 14th
Annual Street Carnival was just celebrated, along
with education they have programs such as youth
group, scouts,after school program and VBS.
Redeemer school goes by the saying Redeemer
Rocks .Redeemer is a very caring parish and they
welcome all into their hearts and minds.
On 110 Years Of Community News