14 The Courier sun • NOVEMBER 21, 2013 for breaking news visit www.couriersun.com sandy Bill calls for storm fund tracking, accountability BY MAGIE HAYES [email protected] One Queens pol wants to track storm recovery funds, promote accountability Cuomo: $37M to keep LGA from flooding BY ANGY ALTAMIRANO [email protected] After Sandy forced LaGuardia Airport (LGA) to close last year for three days, Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced $37.5 million in storm mitigation and resiliency projects to protect important infrastructure from future flooding. “Sandy forced us to reevaluate how we prepare for and respond to major natural disasters in New York,” said Cuomo. “The question is not if another storm will hit, but when, and the state is doing everything it can to ensure that New York’s infrastructure is strong and durable when the time comes.” Last year during Sandy, LGA’s airfield was flooded by more than 100 million gallons of water from Flushing Bay, causing the airport to cease commercial flight operations for three days. The surge flooded the five high-capacity pump houses which the airport depended on to drain any water. The five projects announced by the governor include the installation of flood barrier raised banks around the West Field Lighting Vault, which houses runway and taxiway lighting systems, and construction of a concrete flood wall around the West End Substation that is key to powering the airfield systems. The other projects feature construction of two gravity drains that will release storm water into Flushing Bay, replacement of existing generators with bigger and more efficient emergency back-up generators, and restoration of LGA’s monitoring and control system, to allow the airport to quickly monitor and deal with any issues with its electrical distribution system. “Projects like these will significantly improve flood protection and electrical resiliency at LaGuardia and throughout the state,” said Cuomo. “New York State government is working every day to build back better than before.” Federal funds are expected to cover $28.1 million of the total project costs. Pol asks AG to investigate contractor fraud BY MAGIE HAYES [email protected] Sandy brought a wave of fraudulent fixes to south Queens, and one elected official wants them wiped out. Following the superstorm, many affected residents fell victim to fraudulent contractors who “promised to rebuild their homes, but have either left before completing the job or disappeared with their deposit without performing the necessary repairs,” said Assemblymember Phillip Goldfeder. Goldfeder wrote a letter to Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, requesting he “immediately investigate” and hold all out-of-state and local fraudulent contractors accountable. “Residents who have spent their hard-earned money and savings to rebuild deserve to have the work done as promoted by their contractor,” Goldfeder said in his letter. He said this is a “community-wide concern” in Howard Beach, Hamilton Beach, Broad Channel and Rockaway and many are “still struggling to finish repairs left from the storm damage.” This October, Schneiderman prosecuted a Long Island based organization which “used deceptive practices in an attempt to obtain business from victims” of Sandy. G.C. Environmental, Inc. of Bay Shore was fined $40,000 after mailing more than 2,000 letters resembling State Department of Environmental Conservation notices of violation to property owners who had suffered petroleum spills as a result of the storm, warning victims of an impending fine if they did not seek repairs. Additionally, in July, Schneiderman filed lawsuits against four service stations in Kings, Nassau and Suffolk County Supreme Courts for gas price gouging following the storm. The attorney general’s office reached settlements with 25 stations, and additional investigations are pending. Schneiderman’s office did not return a request for comment regarding Goldfeder’s letter. “It is of paramount importance that we continue to help homeowners and revive our communities,” Goldfeder said. and avoid any potential of fraud for people still recovering from Sandy. A new bill introduced by Councilmember Donovan Richards will monitor where the billions of federal, state and local dollars for superstorm recovery are being spent. “The tracking bill will ensure contractors who accept public money for Sandy work, disclose the wages they are paying and where they hire workers,” Richards said. The bill received 36 co-sponsors in the City Council, giving it a veto-proof majority. All contractors will be required to disclose everything from the wages they pay workers to the area from which they hire these workers. An online database will track where and how the funds are spent. Federal recovery grants recently amounted to $1.34 billion, but the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development recently tacked on an additional $104 million to repair low-income housing, according to various media reports. “It has been over a year since Sandy, and many families are still looking for support to rebuild their communities,” said Councilmember Leroy Comrie, who supported the bill. “The funds the city is allocating need to be spent wisely, and creating an online database will ensure those who are most in need will receive it.” PHOTO COURTESY OF THE OFFICE OF COUNCILMEMBER DONOVAN RICHARDS Councilmember Donovan Richards introduced a new Sandy Tracking bill on the steps of City Hall, which will monitor where storm recovery funds will go and how they are spent. Photo Courtesy Vallo Transportation FOOD DRIVE HELPS STRUGGLING FAMILIES AFTER SANDY Linda DeSabato, president of Vallo Transportation, and a dozen employees distributed more than 25 boxes of Thanksgiving food to The River Fund NY in Jamaica on November 19. DeSabato said The River Fund was chosen for their “great service” to communities, families still struggling after Sandy. “Our hope is to simply brighten the holidays for families in need and help them enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving meal,” she said.
SC11212013
To see the actual publication please follow the link above