SHB_p004

SC03072013

for breaking news visit www.couriersun.com MARCH 7, 2013 • The CourieR SUN 3 KINDERGARTEN KID: ‘I’M OUTTA HERE’ BY MAGGIE HAYES [email protected] Five-year-old Angelo Geremia pushed open his school doors, walked home in the pouring rain with no coat, and nobody noticed. “I just don’t understand what happened,” said his mother, Georgina Geremia. “Something upset him to make him leave, and no one was watching him.” Geremia got a call on Wednesday, February 27, from her neighbor who told her that little Angelo was outside his house, screaming to be let in. She estimates it took him about 20 minutes to walk from his school, P.S. 229, to their home on 62nd Street. An extra ten minutes that he was trying to get inside leaves 30 minutes that the five-year-old was unaccounted for. Geremia had to call the school and tell the principal herself that her son had walked out. “I asked what can the principal do to guarantee that this won’t happen again. She told me she can’t guarantee it won’t,” she said. For the roughly 1,400 kids in P.S. 229, there is one security guard and no cameras. How the kindergartner got out of the school is still not clear. He said he went out the front door, but school officials said he went out the back door. He also said he was upset he got a time-out, but school officials said he left after a trip to the bathroom. However, at any given moment, an aide should be watching the students, Geremia said. Geremia said the school’s principal, Dr. Sibylle Ajwani, was apologetic. But there has been no answer as to what consequences are coming for the aide who dropped the ball, she said. “If something would have happened to him, then what?” she asked. “Somebody went to work that day and just didn’t do their job.” The Department of Education (DOE) and P.S. 229 did not return calls for comment. THE COURIER/Photo by Maggie Hayes School officials did not know that Angelo Geremia, 5, left school and walked home. Leaders want Southeast flooding fixed BY LIAM LA GUERE As Sandy barreled down on the East Coast last year, there was one thing on Helene Martello’s mind. “Where am I going to move my car?’” she asked. It wasn’t the first time she feared flooding. After returning to her Hollis home from a party in 2008, Martello was surprised to find her car submerged in a flood with water reaching as high as the dashboard. “I was upset because you didn’t even think another flood would happen,” Martello, 61, said. “We’ve had sewers put in. They told us everything was going to be okay, and it wasn’t.” In the latest community effort to get the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to solve flooding in Southeast Queens, nearly a dozen Queens leaders, led by Assemblymember William Scarborough, met with residents at York College on Thursday, February 28 to explain the importance of action before the Bloomberg administration passes its budget. At the meeting, Scarborough revealed new legislation he penned to force the city to take financial responsibility for partly causing the flooding issue in Queens. He introduced a lawyer who will attempt to file a consolidated suit against the city, combining as many residents’ evidence of property damage they can find. “We’re looking to get money damages for their ongoing damage of having cellars and basements that are inundated with water and have to be pumped out regularly,” said attorney Mark Seitelman. The DEP has invested more than $1.5 billion into developing the area’s sewer system, and has about 200 projects in place for the next 10 years that are worth another billion, according to an agency spokesperson. Late last year the agency began a new pilot plan to insert three basins throughout areas in Jamaica that would collect and pump out millions of gallons of water each day. It helped, but not enough, residents said. They want some former wells reopened, but the DEP refused to do that until 2018 when the city plans to temporarily close and repair the Delaware Aqueduct, an upstate resource where the city gets half its water. The DEP is not responsible for the underground water, but elements like rain or snow can cause floods, a DEP representative said. The agency is testing the wells and the quality of water for functionality and at this moment is not sure if they are usable. PHOTO BY LIAM LA GUERRE Queens leaders met with the Southeast community to discuss flooding in the area.


SC03072013
To see the actual publication please follow the link above