SHB_p010

SC01302014

10 The Courier sun • JANUARY 30, 2014 for breaking news visit www.couriersun.com Goodbye to a Son AVONTE LAID TO REST Mourners hope for ‘new chapter’ in school services, safety BY ANGY ALTAMIRANO AND CRISTABELLE TUMOLA [email protected] Hundreds gathered so that his death would not be in vain. After the search for autistic Rego Park teen Avonte Oquendo ended tragically, mourners came out to say goodbye at his funeral, where he was remembered as a silent, yet always smiling, courageous boy. A private ceremony was held at the Greenwich Village Funeral Home in Manhattan on Saturday, January 25, where a “beautiful silence” took over the room, said Leslie Burch, a close family friend. Among those paying respects was actress Holly Robinson Peete, whose son has autism. Mourners then made their way to St. Joseph’s Church, just a few blocks away, where a public mass was led by former Archbishop of New York Edward Michael Egan. “He was a strong, courageous young man who handled the struggle with autism with tremendous greatness and true nobility,” said Egan, standing next to a large portrait of Avonte. Egan also took the time to thank and recognize the efforts that went into the nearly four month search for the missing 14-year-old, after he was last seen at the Center Boulevard School in Long Island City on October 4. Officials confirmed on January 21 that remains found washed up along the East River in College Point six days earlier were those of Avonte. The cause and manner of death are pending future tests, according to the medical examiner. “Police officers and various agencies of our beloved city made it no less clear that they too knew how precious Avonte was,” said Egan. Although Avonte’s family decided not to speak during the services Saturday, his mother, together with his brothers and other mourners, laid white roses on top of THE COURIER/Photo by Cristabelle Tumola/Handout Hundreds gathered to show their support for Avonte’s family as they said goodbye to the autistic teen who had been missing since October 4. his white casket following the release of doves. Another family member who attended the service was Avonte’s cousin and best friend, 20–year-old Noah Javan Conti from Woodside, who is mildly autistic. Rocopra Conti, who raised Noah and also attended the funeral, remembers the last time he saw Avonte. That day, the teen grabbed Rocopra’s face and gave him one last look. “That was the last moment we shared,” said Rocopra. “I knew how to love him, I knew what he was feeling. I just wish I could have done more.” Family attorney David Perecman, who spoke at the funeral Mass, said that even though the search was concluded, the story is not finished. “I must ask all of you, I ask that this not be the last chapter in this very sad story. We must have at least one more,” said Perecman. “This loss that this family has cannot be in vain, we must find out how to fix our schools, we must find out how to fix the system of security that failed this boy.” Schumer intros ‘Avonte’s Law’ BY ANGY ALTAMIRANO [email protected] Two days after autistic teen Avonte Oquendo was laid to rest, one politician introduced legislation that could help prevent another tragedy from occurring to a child with a developmental disorder. Senator Charles Schumer announced on Monday, January 27 that he would be introducing legislation called “Avonte’s Law,” which will create and fund a program providing voluntary tracking devices and increase support services for families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or any other developmental conditions in which bolting is common. The program would only include children whose parents choose to use the devices. “The tragic end to the search for Avonte Oquendo clearly demonstrated that we need to do more to protect children with autism who are at risk of running away,” said Schumer. “Making voluntary tracking devices available will help put parents at ease, and most importantly, help prevent future tragedies like Avonte’s.” The bill would create a new grant program within the Department of Justice, allowing the agency to award funds to local law enforcement agencies or organizations wanting to provide tracking devices for children with autism. The funds would also help provide training and other resources to schools, allowing them to be prepared to react to a situation like Avonte’s. The new program would be modeled from the federal program already being used to help track seniors with Alzheimer’s. “Avonte’s Law” will authorize $10 million in federal money to purchase the voluntary tracking devices and training for parents, schools and local law enforcement. The program would be run by the Police Department or other local law enforcement and would provide training on how to use and maintain the devices. The tracking devices could be worn as non-tampering wristwatches, anklets or be clipped onto belt loops or shoelaces. The devices could also be woven into specially designed clothing. Photo Courtesy of Senator Charles Schumer’s Office Senator Charles Schumer and Vanessa Fontaine, Avonte Oquendo’s mother, at a press conference on Sunday, January 25 introducing the legislation called “Avonte’s Law.” Family wants records, files suit BY ANGY ALTAMIRANO AND CRISTABELLE TUMOLA [email protected] Avonte Oquendo’s mother has taken legal action to gain access to records documenting the disappearance of her son, as the family attorney plans to file a multi-million dollar claim against the city. Following the identification of her son, Vanessa Fontaine filed suit against the City of New York on Wednesday, January 22 in Manhattan Supreme Court. Fontaine filed the court action demanding the NYPD release records relating to the disappearance of Avonte, according to published reports. Family attorney David Perecman said he will be filing a $25 million negligence claim against the city, focused on the Department of Education and safety agents, for wrongful death. 


SC01302014
To see the actual publication please follow the link above