FOR BREAKING NEWS VISIT WWW.QNS.COM JANUARY 16, 2020 • CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOLS • THE QUEENS COURIER 53
Catholic High Schools
Photo via Facebook/Futures in Education
Here’s some facts about Catholic schools
• More than 1.8 million students attend
Catholic schools in 176 dioceses across
the United States.
• Approximately 20.8 percent of students
are racial minorities, 17.4% percent
of students are Hispanic and 6.5 percent
of students did not identify to a particular
• In the United States, 349,139 Catholic
school students are not Catholic,
accounting for 19 percent of total enrollment.
• Catholic high schools across the U.S.
have a graduation rate of 99.2 percent.
• Based on the average public school per
pupil cost of $11,454 nationwide, Catholic
schools save taxpayers about $21 billion
• Approximately 97.4 percent of all faculty
are lay women and men. More than
150,000 teachers are employed full-time
in Catholic elementary, middle and secondary
schools. Th e national average
staffi ng ratio is 13 students per teacher.
• Th e Diocese of Brooklyn is among the
top 10 dioceses and archdioceses nationwide
in school enrollment.
• Of the 6,352 Catholic schools in the
United States, approximately 1,872 of
them have waiting lists for admission.
Catholic Educational Association