What Will a BID Do for ?
A BID (Business Improvement District) is a business promotion organization that
is professionally operated every day of the year for the benefit of business and
property owners in Allerton.
An Allerton BID would provide a number of valuable services to the business owners
and 91 property owners in the Allerton business corridor along Allerton Avenue and
White Plains Road. The services needed and the services provided will be determined by
the business and property owners themselves. All decisions are local decisions. A BID is
your business plan for your business district.
The BIDs in communities around Allerton (Morris Park, Throggs Neck, Westchester
Square, Fordham Road, Castle Hill, White Plains Road, and Arthur Avenue) have many
common service goals:
• A full time, professional BID administrator who will work with all business and
property owners to assist them with business issues and who will achieve results
with the powerful voice of business people. This sure beats calling 311 with
your problems or just paying a fine because no one cares or no one will listento
• Promoting the businesses in the BID with newspaper and local TV publicity.
• Organizing and operating business marketing events such as street festivals,
holiday celebrations, business promotion events, and Holiday lighting.
• Solving problems with graffiti, broken parking meters, poor street lighting,
inadequate street signage, unlawful street vendors, and making certain that the
City does all the service work your taxes pay them to do!
• Regular cleaning of sidewalks so that business owners don’t have to leave their
BRONX TIMES REPORTER, AUGUST 30-BTR SEPTEMBER 5, 2019 25
customers and business duties to pick up garbage.
• Instruction for merchants to better utilize social media and to make sales onthe
• Monitor and address security needs and communicate problems to law
• Work with property owners to attract new tenants for vacant stores.
• Compel the Department of Transportation to provide safer street crossingsand
• Effective cooperation with local elected officials for the benefit of the business
• Secure public and private grant money for community improvements and safety.
There are 77 existing BIDs in NYC and some have operated for more than 30 years. BIDs
are a permanent part of the business community and they work to make each business
more successful and profitable. With effective and sustained business support from an
Allerton BID the businesses and properties in the Allerton community will prosper long
into the future.