SHB_p028

SC11072013

28 The Courier sun • november 7, 2013 for breaking news visit www.couriersun.com HB helps ‘Stuff the Bus’ for charity BY MAGIE HAYES [email protected] After being knocked out by Sandy last year, the Rotary Club of Southwest Queens once again collected dozens of grocery bags filled with Thanksgiving food for the needy. “People are being very generous,” said Joseph DiBlasi of the Rotary Club. “Some people come out with big bags.” DiBlasi and other volunteers camped out by the Waldbaum’s on Cross Bay Boulevard on Saturday, November 2. They handed out flyers to passersby and collected item after item of donated food. Excited donors handed over food items they bought while others contributed money and pre-wrapped gift baskets to the cause. All of the donations went to the Our Lady of Grace food pantry. “They can only do so much over there,” DiBlasi said. “Sometimes their shelves are empty.” While the Rotarians worked to stuff the bus, a group of young children and their parents walked up, each carrying a $1 donation. “It was really nice,” DiBlasi said. “I don’t see a difference this year. People have always been willing to help.” The group also put a donation bin in the Citibank right next to Waldbaum’s. That bin will stay in the Cross Bay bank branch until Thanksgiving. DiBlasi said he and the Rotary crew could have stayed at the Waldbaum’s all day long, collecting more and more food. He estimated they stuffed the bus with about 50 filled grocery bags, and delivered the donations to Our Lady of Grace on Monday morning, November 4. “They were thrilled. We did very well,” DiBlasi said. “You don’t realize how much you’re getting as you’re taking two or three bags into the bus at a time.” Residents may not be SOAKED by insurance rates BY MAGIE HAYES [email protected] Flood zone residents can rest easy for now ‑ as impending increases in flood insurance have been put on the backburner. Congressmembers Gregory Meeks and Hakeem Jeffries co-sponsored the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Care Act of 2013, legislation meant to address the flood insurance rate increase and “keep residents from being priced out of our community,” Meeks said. In July 2012, Congress passed the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act, which would require the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to raise flood rates to reflect “true flood risk” for a policyholder, according to FEMA. As a result of the act, residents said that over time, their rates could get as high as $30,000 a year. Rallies protesting the price hikes were held nationwide in September, including one at the Broad Channel American Legion Hall, which brought in hundreds of residents. The insurance affordability act imposes a four-year delay for certain primary residences. It also mandates FEMA complete an affordability study, which will take two years. The new bill also allows FEMA to reimburse policyholders who successfully appeal a map determination. Meeks and Jeffries worked with over 80 other members of Congress to pass the act and “fix” the NFIP, he said. He vows to work with colleagues “across the aisle” to ensure the bill is signed into law and successfully implemented. THE COURIER/Photo by Maggie Hayes The Rotary Club of Southwest Queens hosted “Stuff the Bus” to collect food and money donations for the Our Lady of Grace parish. THE COURIER/Photo by Maggie Hayes After hundreds rallied against flood insurance hikes, a new bill could delay rate increases imposed upon Sandy victims. Riled up over shelter proposal BY LIAM LA GUERE [email protected] No means no. More than a hundred residents once again protested a proposed homeless shelter at an abandoned Glendale factory on Saturday, November 2. Area residents have rejected the shelter, but since nonprofit Samaritan Village is not backing away from its proposal to the Department of Homeless Service (DHS) to transform the site at 78-16 Cooper Avenue into housing for 125 struggling families, the residents returned with posters and petitions. “I would say that we are definitely determined,” said Middle Village resident Heather Truberg, who organized the rally. “Because if it is approved, and they start building it, it’ll be out of our hands.” Residents feel the factory would not be a good location for the shelter because it is contaminated and therefore not suitable as a residence, and will require millions of dollars to clean up. They also believe it will force many new children into crowded surrounding public schools, and because the area is built without much transportation, commuting would be troublesome for the homeless families. Samaritian Village recently answered a joint letter by elected officials to address community concerns. The organization confirmed that the facility wouldn’t deny housing to sex offenders and convicted criminals. This further outraged community members and elected officials. Many residents feel that officials haven’t been doing enough to stop the proposal. “It seems like it could happen. They said we’re not for it, but they are not doing anything,” Middle Village resident John Hegener said. While the opposition against the shelter is strong, not everyone is up in arms. “I know that they the protesters are thinking, ‘if it’s a guy from jail he might rob again,’” said Fran Malave, a Glendale resident walking past the rally. “But what about women that need help, or children?” THE COURIER/Photo by Liam La Guerre Middle Village and Glendale residents once again protested the transformation of an abandoned factory into a homeless shelter.


SC11072013
To see the actual publication please follow the link above