• Pursuant to DOT Order 5610.2(a), DOT Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations, the Proposed Action
would have a significant impact on minority environmental justice populations and is seeking public comments on impacts and proposed mitigation
disclosed in Chapter 3.14 of the Draft EIS.
• Pursuant to Executive Order 11990, Protection of Wetlands, that the Proposed Action would temporarily affect less than 1 acre of jurisdictional wetlands in
Flushing Creek and less than 1 acre of temporary and permanent impact in Flushing Bay. Impacts to these aquatic resources are disclosed in Chapter 3.16
of the Draft EIS.
• Pursuant to Executive Order 11988, Floodplain Management, that the Proposed Action would not result in a significant encroachment on floodplains. Impacts
to floodplains are disclosed in Chapter 3.16 of the Draft EIS.
• Pursuant to NYS EDPL, the NYSDOT is using the NEPA process to notify the public of the public use, benefit and purpose to be served by the proposed public
project; the approximate location for the proposed public project and the reasons for the selection of that location; the general effect of the proposed
project on the environment and residents of the locality and other factors considered relevant.
The public comment period on the Draft EIS starts on August 21, 2020 and ends on October 5, 2020. As part of the EIS public participation process, FAA will hold
two public workshops on the following dates where information will be presented and interested members of the public can participate in a moderated question
and answer session on the Proposed Action and information contained in the Draft EIS with the FAA and the EIS Team:
• September 22, 2020 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
• September 23, 2020 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
FAA will also hold three public hearings on the following dates where interested members of the public can provide and listen to oral comments concerning the
Proposed Action and information contained in the Draft EIS:
• September 22, 2020 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
• September 23, 2020 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
• September 24, 2020 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
All speakers who register to give oral comments will be given up to 3 minutes to allow everyone the opportunity to provide oral comments, if they choose to do
so. Written comments will also be accepted, as specified below.
Due to the ongoing public health emergency associated with COVID-19 and FAA’s responsibility to protect the health and safety of the community, all workshops
and hearings will be virtual. Registration and instructions for the public workshops and hearings will be available on the project website at
www.lgaaccesseis.com. Residents without internet access can call the project hotline at (855) 542-3479 to submit formal comment on the project and/or
request a dial-in number to listen to a workshop or hearing of their choice. Translation services, including sign language interpretation, can be made available
during the public workshops and hearings, if requested 10 calendar days before the sessions, via the online registration process.
Oral comments on the Draft EIS may be presented at the public hearings or by leaving a voicemail at (855) LGA-EIS9 or (855) 542-3479. Written comments on the
Draft EIS may be submitted via the following methods:
• Online on the project website at www.lgaaccesseis.com/formal-comment
• Email to email@example.com
• U.S Mail to Mr. Andrew Brooks, Environmental Program Manager, Eastern Regional Office, AEA-610, Federal Aviation Administration, 1 Aviation Plaza, Jamaica,
All comments must be received by no later than 5:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, Monday, October 5, 2020.
Comments on the Draft EIS will help FAA in making an informed decision about the proposal. If you choose to include your name, address and telephone number,
email, or other personal identifying information in your comment, be advised that your entire comment – including your personal identifying information – may
be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information, FAA cannot guarantee that we
will be able to do so.
The Draft EIS is available for viewing and downloading from the project website at www.lgaaccesseis.com. If hard copies
of the document are needed, please contact Maria Bernardez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAA encourages all interested parties to provide comments concerning the scope and content of the Draft EIS. Comments
should be as specific as possible and address the analysis of potential environmental impacts and the adequacy of the
assessment of the Proposed Action or merits of its alternatives and the mitigation being considered. Reviewers should
organize their participation so that it is meaningful and makes the agency aware of the viewers’ interests and concerns
using quotations and other specific references to the Draft EIS and related documents. This commenting procedure is
intended to ensure that substantive comments and concerns are available to FAA in a timely manner so that FAA has an
opportunity to address them. Matters that could have been raised with specificity during the comment period on the
Draft EIS may not be considered if they are raised for the first time later in the decision process.
Following the public comment period, FAA will prepare a Final EIS and Record of Decision pursuant to 40 CFR § 1503.4(c)
CEQ regulations and FAA Orders 1050.1F and 5050.4B.