COURIER L 36 IFE, JUNE 18-24, 2021
KEVIN’S RECORD ON CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
• In the 2019-20 legislative session, passed
4 criminal justice reform bills to codify the
right to record police, require New York State
police to wear body cameras, create the Law
Enforcement Misconduct Investigative Office,
and criminalize making frivolous 911 calls
involving a member of a protected class.
These were the first statewide bills passed
anywhere following the police homicide of
• Also introduced bills to eliminate qualified
immunity for police officers, create a nonpolice
response to mental health crises,
define excessive use of force, and make a
New York City residency requirement for
future NYPD officers.
• Called on the Mayor to reallocate NYPD
funds to fund the Summer Youth Employment
• Passed S1353 to provide the incarcerated
with information on services available to them
upon their release.
• Passed S5923 to create a civil remedy for
victims of hate crimes.